Armadale Castle, Gardens & Museum of the Isles is operated by Clan Donald Lands Trust, a Scottish Registered Charity. The charity owns and manages not only the Castle grounds but also the wider 20,000-acre estate.
The estate once formed part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald and includes the former home of the Macdonalds of Sleat. In 1971 these lands came up for sale following the death of Alexander Godfrey Macdonald, 7th Lord Macdonald and High Chief of Clan Donald. A charitable trust, the Clan Donald Lands Trust, was founded by Clan Donald members worldwide in order to buy some of these lands and preserve them for everyone to enjoy. Clan Donald Lands Trust is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC007862.
Purpose and mission
The purpose of Clan Donald Lands Trust is not only to preserve but also to promote the unique assets in our care. Our mission is: ‘The conservation, protection and promotion of Clan Donald, its traditions, history, lands and property including the built, cultivated and natural assets and habitat in its ownership on the Isle of Skye for the purpose of fostering Clan Donald sentiment and interest; enabling physical and intellectual access to the public and Clansmen globally.’
The Museum of the Isles is a Museum Galleries Scotland Accredited Museum. The Accreditation Scheme sets nationally agreed standards for Museums in the UK. Accreditation requires a rigorous review process which recognises high standards of governance and management, collections care and documentation, and visitor information and services. Find out more about Accreditation.
We are members of Visit Scotland’s Quality Assurance Scheme are proud to be accredited as a 5 Star Visitor Attraction and 4 Star Accommodation provider. Find out more about Quality Assurance.
Clan Donald Lands Trust has policies in place to ensure all areas of operation adhere to the highest standards. If you would like more information on our policies, please contact us.
The charity is managed by an experienced and dedicated staff team supported by a Board of Trustees.
Responsible for operational and strategic management of Armadale Castle, Gardens & Museum and the wider estate.
- Chris Cartwright: Estate Manager
- Iain Farquharson: Finance Director
- Sue Geale: Museum Manager
Board of Trustees
- Sir Ian Macdonald of Sleat, Chair of Trustees, Yorkshire, UK
- Jamie Macdonald of Aird, Chair of the Executive Committee, Dorset, UK
- Mrs Diane Carey-Schmitz, Pasadena, USA
- Greg Inskip, Delaware, USA
- Bruce Macdonald, Charleston, USA
- Right Honourable Godfrey James Macdonald of Macdonald, 8th Lord Macdonald, Isle of Skye, UK
- J Hugh Macdonald, Isle of Skye, UK
- Mark MacDonald, Reno, USA
- Ranald A Macdonald of Clanranald, Captain of Clanranald, London, UK
- Lois MacDonell of Glengarry, Ross-shire, UK
- Ranald MacDonell of Glengarry, Surrey, UK
- Mrs Christine Martin, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Andrew Wilkie, Auckland, New Zealand
We are grateful for the support of volunteers who work with us in a number of capacities. Find out how you can volunteer at Armadale.