Over a dozen talented young musicians took part in Armadale Castle’s annual Junior Clàrsach Competition last Saturday, 16 March. Entering in a number of different categories, the young people performed in front of a full house in the cafe, Armadale at Armadale Castle. The winner of the overall prize for best clàrsach, the Kate MacDonald Memorial Prize, was Isabella Somerville from Inverness.
- Solo Primary: Isabella Somerville
- Solo Secondary: Isabel MacLean
- Clàrsach with Voice Primary: Isabella Somerville
- Clàrsach with Voice Secondary: Erin Gillies
- Composition Primary: Anna Dorward
- Composition Secondary: Isabel MacLean
- Clàrsach with other instrument Secondary: Isabel MacLean
- Kate MacDonald Memorial Prize for Best Junior Clàrsach: Isabella Somerville
The adjudicator was Christine Martin of Scotland’s Music, and the convenor Clàrsach teacher Mary Strachan. Christine Martin commented: ‘This was a lovely competition and all the clarsach competitors were players of a very high standard.’ Mary Strachan added: ‘We were extremely pleased, with a total of 28 entries of high quality. Each year sees the success of the competition increasing. We would like to thank everyone who took part and the team at Gasta at Armadale Castle for being so accommodating.’
The prize is sponsored by Clan Donald Lands Trust as part of the charity’s commitment to supporting the traditional Gaelic arts.